There a million things to teach your kids. So I figured I’d start a list of things that I personally want to pass on to my son and any siblings he may have. Is this overdone? Eh maybe. Nonetheless:
- Never stop pursuing your dream job. You may not get it right out of school, you might have to work at a job you hate, and you’re going to have to work hard, but it’s more possible than ever to make a career out of something you love.
- It’s OK to show emotion; in fact, it’s healthy. But always base your arguments on principles, NOT emotions.
- Never be afraid to question and challenge; that’s how we grow and improve; but ALWAYS do so with respect.
- Stand by your convictions, but have an open mind; it’s possible to do both.
- “You have two ears but only one mouth”; LISTEN more.
- If you want to look fancy wear a suit; if you want to be respected, be sincere.
- Learn how to respectfully disagree; it’s a lost art.
- Learn not to sweat the small stuff; there’s enough to worry about already.
- Always give others the benefit of the doubt; you will avoid so much drama when you don’t jump to conclusions.
- On the same token, don’t trash them behind their back; gossip does more harm than you think.
- Find some form of physical activity that you enjoy and stick with it.
- Technology is not bad, and it’s becoming more and more a part of our lives. HOW you use it is what’s important.
- Just because you want it doesn’t mean you should have it.
- Don’t apologize if you weren’t wrong; apologize immediately and sincerely if you were.
- You cannot make it alone; if you want to succeed in life, you must learn how to ask for help.
- Love may start as a feeling, but it continues through a choice.
- Strive to be an optimistic realist, or a realistic optimist; see the glass as half-full, but recognize there is room for more.
- Surround yourself with other positive people; negativity will not breed success.
- At some point in your life, you will have the opportunity to lead; do so through service.
- True peace cannot be found without God.
There’s plenty more where that came from, so stay tuned!
What would you add?